Key Largo is a famous Island in the Florida Keys. Its the first Island on your way down to Key West. I always enjoy coming to this Island and the surrounding Islands of Tavernier and Islamorada which is called the Upper Keys by the locals. My favorite activities for the Upper Keys are the following: 1. Swimming with the Dolphins Key Largo Tour, 2. Scuba Diving the Beautiful Coral Reefs 3. Florida Keys Wild Bird Rehabilitation Center 4. John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park and 5. Caribbean Watersports.
- The Swimming with the Dolphins Key Largo Tour is done by Dolphin World. This tour company provides the best of both worlds where you get to swim with the dolphins and snorkel the beautiful coral reef all in one package. The dolphin program is a blast where you get to swim with them for 30 minutes and get a dorsal fin ride, belly ride, and foot push. Also, 1 1/2 hours boat trip to the beautiful and magical coral reef with mask, snorkel and fins.
- Scuba Diving the pristine Coral Reefs is a must for all certified divers. There not too many places in the continental United States where there are coral reefs that are worthy to dive on. Some of the great places to dive here are famous wrecks, the Spiegel Grove and USCG Duane. The Sea Dweller is a reputable dive center to dive with.
- Florida Keys Wild Bird Center’s mission is to rescue, rehabilitate, and release native and migratory wild birds that have been harmed or displaced, to provide or locate a humane shelter for those birds that cannot be released, and to educate the public toward the importance of coexistence with all wild bird species. I love stopping here because its so interesting and the it free but they do ask for a donation.
- John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park is a famous State Park on Key Largo. This state park is nice place to visit. As parks goes, it a good place to get some nature, mangrove walks and beaches for swimming, camping if you want to sleep outside, and picknicking for those that want to eat their own food. Also this park tells the story how it became one the first places in the United States where the surrounding waters and coral reefs were protected for future generations.
- Caribbean Watersports is one of the best places to get all your water sports needs met. They have so much to offer from Parasailing, Enviro-Tours into the Everglades National Park’s Florida Bay, Sunset Cruises on Florida bay, WaveRunners, Banana Boat Rides, Hobie Cat Sailboats, Kayaks, and Stand Up Paddle Boards. If you have time in the Keys, you should take advantage of all this water fun, especially the Parasailing which is my favorite. You really get to see the Key Largo and the Everglades from so high up.
Well this is my list. Do you have activities list for Upper Keys? I would love to go have your feed back with any of your suggestions.